Orthopaedic and Trauma Department
What is meant by orthopaedic?
Orthopaedic surgery is a specialty dealing with acute injuries, congenital and acquired disorders and chronic arthritic or overuse conditions of the bones, joints and their associated soft tissues, including ligaments, nerves and muscles. Trauma and orthopaedics as a specialty makes up roughly a third of the surgical workforce and accounts for 43 percent of all surgical episodes in the NHS.
Our Orthopaedic Department
The aim of our department is to provide an efficient and responsive service with an easy referral pathway from GP to appropriate clinician, and to provide a first definitive treatment for our patients within 18 weeks.
Most consultants work alongside general surgeons in emergency trauma dealing with bony and soft tissue injuries admitted through our A&E Departments. The vast majority also have a specialist interest in a particular orthopaedic condition including the following:
Services are provided on an inpatient and outpatient basis and take a multi-disciplinary team approach. Outpatient appointments can take place at clinics in Wisbech or here at the hospital.
Our Orthopaedic department works closely with the Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy departments to provide a rehabilitation programme with the aim of aiding recovery post operation.
The department also runs a joint clinic with the Diabetic Service, which focuses on issues with diabetic patients and their feet, and also provide a pathway into the Orthotic service.
Among the main procedures undertaken by Orthopaedic surgeons at the QEH are:
Our orthopaedic team
We currently employ 11 Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons that cover the procedures and conditions listed above.
- Mr Anil Chakrabarti - Telephone: 01553 613530
- Mr Nigel Coleman - Telephone: 01553 613836
- Miss Lucy Dennell - Telephone: 01553 613716
- Mr Mamoun Gadir - Telephone: 01553 613717
- Mr James Jeffery - Telephone: 01553 613685
- Mr Shantanu Mandal - Telephone: 01553 613316
- Mr Sunil Nair - Telephone: 01553 613530
- Mr Chandra Paspula - Telephone: 01553 613974
- Mr Andrew Cook - Telephone: 01553 613717
- Mr Nicholas Steele - Telephone: 01553 613717
- Mr Sivaraman Subramanian - Telephone: 01553 613836
Useful website links
The following sites may contain information that is of use to you: