The Queen Elizabeth Hospital has circa 500 beds, 28 wards and serves a population of around 331,000 people who are living in three counties of Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire.
We have begun our journey of improvement, to turnaround the Trust from one with an ‘inadequate’ rating (and in special measures)from the Care Quality Commission to one our local communities can be proud of. Our 2,818-strong workforce is committed to working together with partners to make the sustainable changes required of us to consistently deliver the safe and high- quality care our patients can expect of us and there are already signs of progress.
We have seven main operating theatres, including two fully integrated endoscopic theatres; a dedicated West Norfolk Breast Unit; and the midwife-led Waterlily Unit which provides expectant mothers with greater choice.
- 68,677 patients attended our Emergency Department (3,647 more than 17/18)
- We treated 41,080 inpatients (over 2,000 more than 17/18)
- 32,373 day case procedures (1,916 more than 17/18)
- 280,745 outpatient appointments
- 2,197 babies were born at our hospitals
As we serve patients on the borders of Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire, we are commissioned by clinical commissioning groups from these three counties to provide acute hospital services. Our lead commissioner is NHS West Norfolk Clinical Commissioning Group.
The QEH is a district general hospital which provides acute services for the following specialties:
- Accident and Emergency
- Critical Care
- Day Surgery
- Breast Surgery
- Specialist Care of the Elderly
- Clinical Health Psychology
- Ear, Nose and Throat Department
- Maxillo Facial Surgery
- Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Oncology and a specialist Macmillan unit
We have a renal dialysis unit, which is an outreach unit of the nephrology service in Cambridge. Our oncology service is supplemented by additional facilities in Cambridge and thoracic and plastic surgery services are provided by our neighbouring provider, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.