Medical Retina service
Within the Medical Retina service there are services available for Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration and Vein occlusions.
Services available for Diabetic Retinopathy
- Assessment of retinopathy
- Assessment of digital images linked over secure server by the Diabetic Retinal Screening Programme
- Laser therapy to the retina
- Fundus fluorescein and Indocyanine Green angiograms
- Optical Coherent Tomography (OCT) for diagnosis of macular pathology
- High Resolution Retinal Imaging Photography
- Regular follow-up of patients with diabetic retinopathy
- Treatment of diabetic macular oedema with intravitreal antivascular growth factor medication and intravitreal steroid implants.
Services available for Macular Degeneration
- Direct referral service for wet macular degeneration
- High volume treatments with intrvitreal anti-vascular growth factors for wet macular degeneration
- Dry and wet macular degeneration treatment pathways adherent to the NICE and Royal College of Ophthalmologists guidelines
- Low visual aid clinic
- Collaboration with the Norfolk and Norwich Association of the Blind (NNAB)
All GPs and opticians are advised to send a request via fax number 01553 613029 directly to Mr Michael Kouroupsis if they suspect wet macular degeneration. The patient will be seen within the time frame recommended by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
Services available for vein occlusions
- The assessment of vein occlusions
- Treatment of vein occlusions with anti-vascular growth factors and intravitreal steroid implants
- Laser therapy to the retina for treatment of neovascularisation and cystoid macular oedema.
Our specialist team
- Mr M Kouroupis - Consultant Ophthalmologist
- Mr R J Pushpanathan - Locum Consultant Ophthalmologist
- Miss Y Goni - Specialty Doctor
- Mr Bala - Staff Grade Doctor
- Mr C Demosthenous - Medical/Surgical Retina Fellow
Phone: 01553 613884
Fax: 01553 613029
Useful documents links
The following documents may also be of interest to you:
The following websites contain information that may be of interest:
Go to the Ophthalmology overview page.