Learning Disability and Autism Declaration
We are fully committed to delivering good quality healthcare to people with learning disabilities and people with autism.
We can confirm that we have the following systems and processes in place, in line with the recommendations of Healthcare For All, the report of the independent inquiry into access to healthcare for people with learning disabilities (DoH; 2008):
We have robust policies and operational guidance for the management of patients with a learning disability. These are reviewed every 3 years or more often if necessary to comply with new legislation.
Learning Disability Steering Group
We have a Learning Disability Steering Group. This is a group of Learning Disability Champions who meet each month. Learning Disability Champions are members of staff, people with Learning Disabilities and/or Autism, or parents and carers of people with Learning Disabilities. They give their time to make sure people with Learning Disabilities and Autism have as good an experience as possible if they have to come into hospital. They plan service improvements and really make things happen for people with a Learning Disability.
We support our commitment to people with a learning disability or autism by:
- Ensuring that we can provide accessible information, in accordance with the duties outlined in the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.
- Making Learning Disability and Autism Awareness training for all staff.
- Developing a mechanism to flag patients with a learning disability within our patient administration systems to help promote a more responsive service.
- Employing a full time Learning Disability Liaison Nurse to support people with a learning disability or autism and their families and carers.
- Ensuring that there is a named person on the Board of Directors with lead responsibility for raising issues concerning people with a learning disability or autism – this is the Director of Patient Experience and Lead for Nursing and Non-Medical Professionals.
Download an easy read version of this declaration
Safer Places Scheme
You may also be interested in the Safer Places Scheme.