What is neurophysiology?
Neurophysiology is the study of nervous system function.
Our Neurophysiology department
Our neurophysiology department performs diagnostic investigations to aid in the diagnosis and monitoring of adult and paediatric central and peripheral nervous system disorders and muscle diseases. Most referrals relate to either suspected epilepsy, nerve entrapment or peripheral neuropathy.
Our sub-services include:
Electroencephalography (EEG) services include routine video-EEG, sleep EEG (sleep-deprived or melatonin induced), ambulatory EEG (the patient wears a portable EEG recorder at home)
- Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies
- Evoked potentials from visual, somatosensory and auditory modalities
Our specialist team
Our neurophysiology specialist team includes:
- Dr Julian Ray - Consultant Neurophysiologist
- David Steers - Clinical Physiologist
- Claire Emblin (CSci) - Lead Health Care Scientist Neurophysiology
- Kate Swenson - Secretary to Dr Ray
- Louisa Smither - Trainee Health Care Scientist Neurophysiology
Contact details for the Neurophysiology departmentWe are located on the ground floor of the hospital in Area 4 at the bottom of the stairs (we have recently moved locations).
Open 9 - 5. Main department number remains the same.